Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Baltimore Book Festival! Or, This is what I hope heaven is like.

The Baltimore Book Festival is this weekend and I couldn't be more excited! Like last year, the author of the book chosen by the Maryland Humanities Council will be speaking and signing along with a whole slew of other great authors waiting at tables with pens poised.

Warren St. John will be discussing his book, "Outcasts United," the true story of a soccer team of refugee kids in Clarkston, Atlanta.  The coach is a woman from Jordan that was cut off by her family after refusing to return home after college in the U.S. The book gives great summaries into the travesties that the kids experienced before coming to the U.S. while informing about multiple different conflicts all over the world.  It's a great read and Towson will be hosting the coach at an event in November.  I'll be there with bells on!

As an NPR freak, I'm also excited about Michele Norris' presence at the Book Festival.  I just saw her on the Today Show talking about her new novel, "The Grace of Silence: A Memoir." (Click here for the NPR story -excellent!)  I'm, sure I will be pouring through her signed copy at this time next week. 

If I manage to last through all this excitement, I might also stay to see Holly Robinson Peete.  Don't tell anyone, but I loved 21 Jump Street when I was a kid and was completely routing for Holly over Brett Michaels during last season's Celebrity Apprentice.  I also think the book she wrote with her daughter, "My Brother Charlie," provides a great way for kids without autism to understand how to connect to kids with autism.

My Brother Charlie by Holly Robinson Peete from Expanded Books on Vimeo.


Oh yeah, and there are also bands and lots and lots of food and performances and cocktails and so many great things going on everywhere. If you're in the vicinity, it would be a shame to miss it! See you there! (I trust you'll recognize me, I'll be the one geeking out.)

2 comments:

  1. Great post! Thanks for the promotion-- we'll be seeing you at the fest! (I'll be in the info booth!)

    -Cassie from BBF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassie, sorry I missed you. I had such a tight schedule between authors and food and book tents, that I never made it over. It was a blast! I think the rain and the game kept a bunch of people away, but I certainly enjoyed the short author lines!

    ReplyDelete